Enforcing a judgment within a different Ontario Jurisdiction

If a Plaintiff’s Claim has been filed within one Ontario jurisdiction but the Defendant is employed in another jurisdiction and you are looking to issue a garnishment, you will need to file a Certificate of Judgment. A Certificate of judgment must be issued by the originating court and filed in the new court where you are looking to enforce the judgment.

  • Example: You commenced an action and obtained judgment within the jurisdiction of the Toronto Small Claims Court and now you are looking to serve a garnishment on the Debtor’s employer within the Jurisdiction of the Ottawa Small Claims Court, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Judgment.

Related Posts